There are many types of longboards in the market today but drop through longboards stand out because their design is great for both beginner and advanced boarders. Aside from that, drop though longboards are well-suited for many riding styles.
What Are Drop Through Longboards Good for?
Drop through longboards are great for riding at high speeds. They are stable and flexible enough to support the riding style of the boarders.
Whether you are a newbie or a pro, you will surely get your money’s worth (not to mention a fantastic experience) riding your drop through longboard.
Are Drop Through Longboards Good for Beginners?
Drop through longboards are great starting boards for beginners. They have shallow platforms that provide stability even if you ride it at a higher speed. They are very flexible that they suit any kind of riding goal whether you are a newbie or a pro.
Aside from that, drop through longboards is one board that can grow with your capabilities. You can tweak your hardware to easily match your improvements.
Are Drop Through Longboards Good for Cruising?
Drop through longboards are not just good for cruising but they are ideal for it. It is very stable due to its lower and shallower platform. Whatever speed you choose to ride, it is sure to be easy and smooth with this board.
Because drop through longboards lowers the center of gravity while you cruise, they can be easily controlled, and they increase the pushing potential of the rider.
Can You Ollie on a Drop Through Longboard?
You can definitely do an ollie on your drop through longboard. Because of its lower-ground platform, it offers more stability when you do Ollies and other tricks. When doing an ollie, you would need a board that would support your weight and is stable when you do your jump.
Aside from that, the construction of the trucks on a drop through longboard makes it suitable to do tricks. Compared to other longboards, drop through’s truck system goes through the board via the cutout and is not bolted and screwed.
Can You Dance on a Drop Through Longboard?
Drop through longboard can be used for dancing. Longboards need large effective foot platforms or EFP to be a suitable dancer longboard and drop through longboards offer large EFP.
The large foot platform on drop through longboards offer good stability while you dance and ride low to the ground.
Can You Carve on a Drop Through Longboard?
You can also carve on a drop through longboard. When you ride a drop through longboard, your weight is distributed on the eight bolts holding the trucks to the board, and while that does not make it the strongest board, it makes it very flexible which is what you need for carving.
However, drop through longboards are only generally suitable for low speed carving. Since it is not as structurally strong as other boards, riding them at top speed is not advisable.
Can You Slide on a Drop Through Longboard?
Drop through longboards are very easy to slide. They offer stability when sliding since the board lowers the center of gravity.
However, drop through longboards doesn’t offer much grip for corners. It can also be hard to perform technical maneuvering on this board.
How Do you Slide on a Drop Through Longboard?
Here are some tips on how you can perform a slide on your drop through longboard:
- If you are a beginner, make sure that you start practicing on a hill that is not too steep. Flat pavements and parking lots are also good training grounds.
- Push on your board about eight times and ride your board at moderate speed.
- Place your foot on your board at least shoulder-width apart and bend your knees.
- As you get comfortable, try to crouch down before leaning forward and shifting your weight to the front of the board as you prepare to slide.
- With one hand placed on the side of the board between your legs and the other on the ground reaching backward, stretch your body out as your board carves. Your sliding gloves in contact with the ground will help you bring your board to a stop.
- As you come to a stop your board should drift at a 90-degree angle. Use your whole body, especially your hips, to do this move successfully.
Can You Put Regular Trucks on a Drop Through Longboard?
You can put regular trucks on your drop through longboard, however, this is not strongly recommended. Regular trucks make the low deck of this longboard even lower. Aside from that, regular trucks don’t turn enough for this kind of board.
For a better riding experience, it is better to get a proper longboard truck or a reverse kingpin (also referred to as EKP) for your drop through longboard.
Should I Get a Drop Through Longboard?
If you are a beginner who is trying to get into longboarding or a boarder whose riding goal is to cruise or do minimal tricks, then you should definitely get a drop through longboard.
Drop through longboards are easier to learn, maneuver, and ride for boarders of all skill levels. It is a no-nonsense board that would maximize your riding experience.
Should I Get a Pintail or Drop Through Longboard?
As in all cases, before deciding between getting a pintail longboard or drop through longboard, you must decide on the kind of riding that you want and expect to do. Both longboards are great, but everything boils down on which one would serve your riding goals best.
Aside from that, you should take into account the kind of terrain you live in or the places you want to practice longboarding in. Oftentimes, the longboard that you should get has to be suitable for your environment.
Here is a short list to help you choose what you want to get.
|Drop Through Longboard||Pintail|
What is the Best Drop Through Longboard?
If you are on the lookout for a new longboard or your very first one, here is a short list of the top-rated drop through longboards in the market today.
- Rimable Drop Trough Longboard: This 41-inch longboard is made of nine ply maple. With wheels measuring 70 millimeters in diameter, it is the perfect size for smooth downhill rides. It also boasts a rating of ABEC-11 bearing which makes it great for faster speed riding. Aside from that, it has a grippy deck that keeps your feet in place during downhill rides.
- Volador Freeride Longboard: Made from hardwood maple, this longboard is best for more advanced boarders. It has a rating of ABEC-7 bearings which makes for a smooth ride. Aside from that, it has a camber design that helps in shock absorption. The board is also lightweight which makes it easy to carry it around.
- Atom Drop Through Longboard: This longboard is also made of durable maple with added laminate coating for protection. It is also very stable at high speeds due to its low deck. Aside from its wheel design which helps in shock absorption, it is also great for gliding, carving, grinding, and making sharp turns.
- Santa Cruz Lion God Rasta Drop Thru Cruzer: This 40-inch longboard has a grippy surface that helps in keeping your footing. Made with nine ply maple, this board is very durable and stable which makes it an ideal starting board for beginners. Its wheels also measure 75 millimeters which makes it very stable.